11+ Preparation Tuition in Halifax with Study Write 11+ Year 4
The Study Write 11+ Prep tuition course is designed to prepare Year 4 children for the Study Write 11+ programme that they would undertake at the start of Year 5.
The course runs from the September when your child enters the year 4 school year and is completed at the end of year 4.
During the 11+ Prep the children are taught: an array of English Skills (comprehension and creative writing), Mathematics and Verbal Reasoning, at a high, challenging level, in order to help them prepare for the eleven plus year when they reach Year 5.
The 11+ Prep course is now seen as integral to the eleven process as it provides the Year 4 children with a high expectation of what the 11+ expects them to achieve. It provides the foundation in English, Mathematics & Verbal Reasoning for the 11+ Study Write programme to build successfully on.
Study Write 11+ Prep Year 4 Locations & Time:
Study Write 11+ currently teaches its 11+ Prep programme at two schools across Calderdale.
These sessions must be pre-booked (after an initial consultation to deem suitability) but are open to any child in Year 4 throughout Calderdale and its surrounding areas.
All Saints J&I School,
Skircoat Green, Halifax,
The Crossley Health School
Sports & Conference Centre, Spring Edge Halifax, HX3 0HG
An exemplar of a Study Write 11+ Prep Year 4 Session.
During the Autumn Term, the Math’s & English Verbal Reasoning skills are taught within the English & Mathematic lessons.
- An English Starter activity – word, sentence & text level skills are taught and reinforced.
- Verbal Reasoning concepts are taught and then reinforced and consolidated using a variety of questions
- English features and devices are taught to support English Comprehension & Creative writing.
- Mathematics – following the national curriculum elements of the Year 4 & 5 programme of study, the 11+ teaching focuses on high levels of understanding and real life application. Problem solving skills are continually strengthened through the use of exam style questions and mental arithmetic exercises.
- Weekly homework is set across the three subjects and children are expected to spend 1-2 hours each week completing it.
The 11+ prep resources for the sessions and the homework are provided by Study Write 11+.